Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Storyboards

It's great how drab and generic my page looks when I see other bloggers pimped out shit. Well it's not great, but it is in a sense that I have something to work at i.e. vajazzling my blog layout. I'll get to it eventually.

I really want to get into doing storyboards or concept art for film, television, ads, internets, anything. I think speed is one of my downfalls. I see all the pretty storyboards in my in-depth research on Google Images and think "if I try hard enough maybe I could do that," but then there's loads of good ones that look like work churned out at 10 lines per sec. And they still look really good.
I give myself little objectives and ask around for scripts or shot lists to storyboard. A friend sent me a short script that he is shooting soon so I figured that this would be perfect to up my speed level.

All the pencils break....
Scanner doesn't like me....
Software hard to use....
Face melts....

I said a couple of days and it took probably about a week. Not so speedy. But I was just soooo busy that week and he still liked them anyways so go away shame cramps. He really did like them and said they were useful since he had trouble visualizing shots with no actors. I think that was the point of the exercise then.
Speed and dexterity are useful but making the thing happen on the page that you give the client and is what the client wants is the thing the client likes, like. Also get them done before they shoot.

Here's two pages of the ones I did for my friend. I used Illustrator to the extent I'd use MS Paint and painted splodges over various places as "shading". Also prepare to be amazed by the guitar base that's the same size as a bedside table.


No comments:

Post a Comment